Sudbury, Ontario (December 9, 2019) Northern Superior Resources (“Northern Superior” or the “Company”) is pleased to announce that the Company has defined two new gold-bearing systems on its 100% owned Lac Superior gold property in Québec.
- Épervier Gold System - the extension of the Renard gold trend from the IAMGOLD Corporation (“IAMGOLD”)/Vanstar Mining Resources Inc. (“Vanstar”), Nelligan property; and
- Roi System - a second system further to the west
Épervier Gold System:
- Intersection of 1.54 g/t Au over 15.15m (including 10.80 g/t Au over 0.66m): compliments widths and grades reported from intersections associated with the Renard gold deposit, 5km northeast within the adjoining Nelligan gold property (see Vanstar PowerPoint presentation, May 2019);
- Intersected ~750m strike length (system remains open) of gold-bearing material consisting of the same package of mineralized rocks described for, and believed to extend from, the Renard gold deposit (see Figure 1): hydrothermally altered (sericite + silicic +/-fuchsite) and veined volcaniclastic and sedimentary packages, hosting disseminations and lenses of pyrite at up to 5 volume %);
- A positive correlation has been noted between gold and similar pathfinder trace elements as observed at the neighbouring Nelligan Deposit (e.g., Molybdenum);
- Intersected host volcaniclastic-metasedimentary assemblage is 50-100m wide; and
- Extent of system is undefined: It is unknown whether the system is offset or folds onto itself (see Figure 1).
Dr. T.F. Morris, President and CEO states: “Defining a ~750m extension of the Renard gold trend onto the Lac Surprise property from a limited drill program is an excellent start. The system remains open over a significant area of the property allowing for the opportunity to intersect additional gold-bearing material with widths and gold grades similar to those associated with the Nelligan deposit. There is clearly justification for additional drilling to pursue this opportunity.”
Roi Gold System:
- The related structure defined by the geophysical data, indicates that this NNE trending structure clearly extends into the E-W trending Geurcherville Deformation Zone (GDZ), creating potential zones favorable to dilatation, more concentrated fluid flow and therefore opportunity for the precipitation of meaningful concentration of gold from solution;
- Structure can be traced at least 6 km from the magnetic data (open along strike, both directions) and corresponds to a distinct, associated gold grain-in-till anomaly;
- Intersected structure consists of ~50m of mineralized material comprised of a silicified, weakly brecciated, brittle, hematite-carbonate altered fault breccia; and
- Wide value of anomalous gold values(including 0.12 g/t Au over 24.60m; Table 2) with elevated Te, S, Bi and Ag (up to 1.06 g/t Ag).
Dr. T.F. Morris, President and CEO further states: “Multiple, geophysical and gold grain defined targets to the north and south of the discovery hole (LCS-19-12) now warrant follow up drilling in the next phase of exploration on this exciting new gold-bearing structure.”
Figure 1: Location, Épervier and Roi gold systems, Lac Surprise gold property
Table 1: Summary, Key Intersections, Épervier Gold System
|Drill Hole||From (m)||To (m)||Width (m)||Au (g/t)||Incl. Au (g/t)||Width (m)|
† Historic assay results (Kilbourne & Armstrong 2017, internal document)
* Historic assay results plus 2019 infill sampling
Table 2: Summary, Key Intersections, Roi Gold System
|Drill Hole||From (m)||To (m)||Width (m)||Au (g/t)||Incl. Au (g/t)||Width (m)|
About the Lac Surprise Property
The Lac Surprise Property is tied onto the northwest side of the Nelligan Gold Property. Vanstar describes the gold deposit on the Nelligan property as part of a “vast auriferous system offering a potential of multi-million gold ounces” (Vanstar PowerPoint presentation, May 2019). IAMGOLD and Vanstar, IAMGOLD’s partner on the project, recently announced an initial 43-101 compliant mineral resource estimate of 3.2 million inferred ounces of gold for the Nelligan Gold Project (see IAMGOLD/Vanstar press releases, October 22, 2019).
Based upon the 2019 core drill program results as described in this press release, Northern Superior believes that this gold system extends west onto the Lac Surprise property, as defined (so far) by the Épervier Gold System.
The Épervier gold system coupled with the discovery of the Roi gold system and the various other gold showings and gold-bearing shear zones previously defined on the Lac Surprise property, makes this property yet another high value exploration asset 100% owned by Northern Superior Resources.
Jonathan O’Callaghan P.Geo., is a Qualified Person (“QP”) within the meaning of National Instrument 43-101. As the QP for the Lac Surprise property, Mr. O’Callaghan has reviewed, and approved information disclosed in this press release.
About Northern Superior Resources Inc.
The Lac Surprise gold property is one of four mineral properties that Northern Superior is currently exploring. The other three properties also represent regional scale exploration programs, 100% owned by Northern Superior. Exploration to date has identified:
- numerous drill-ready targets for gold, copper and silver on the Ti-pa-kaa-haa-ning (TPK) property of northwestern Ontario;
- a gold deposit (11.6 million tonnes, grade 1.7ppm Au 640,000 oz Au) and numerous opportunities on the Croteau Est property in west-central Québec; and
- a variety of commodities on the Wapistan property, James Bay Lowlands, Québec.
Northern Superior is a reporting issuer in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Québec, and trades on the TSX Venture Exchange under the symbol SUP, and the OTCQB Venture Market under the symbol NSUPF.
For further information please visit the Company’s website at www.nsuperior.com or contact:
Thomas F. Morris P.Geo., PhD., FGAC
President and CEO
Tel: (705) 525 ‐0992
Fax: (705) 525 ‐7701
For further information please refer to the following Northern Superior news releases: January 27, 2014; March 9, 2017; March 9, 2017; January 29, 2019; February 6, 2019; July 9, 2019; August 7, 2019; September 10, 2019; available on the Company’s website and SEDAR.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This Press Release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties, which may cause actual results to differ materially from the statements made. When used in this document, the words “may”, “would”, “could”, “will”, “intend”, “plan”, “anticipate”, “believe”, “estimate”, “expect” and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Such statements reflect our current views with respect to future events and are subject to such risks and uncertainties. Many factors could cause our actual results to differ materially from the statements made, including those factors discussed in filings made by us with the Canadian securities regulatory authorities. Should one or more of these risks and uncertainties, such actual results of current exploration programs, the general risks associated with the mining industry, the price of gold and other metals, currency and interest rate fluctuations, increased competition and general economic and market factors, occur or should assumptions underlying the forward looking statements prove incorrect, actual results may vary materially from those described herein as intended, planned, anticipated, or expected. We do not intend and do not assume any obligation to update these forward-looking statements, except as required by law. Shareholders are cautioned not to put undue reliance on such forward-looking statements.
Neither the TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.